Utility NavTop NavContentLeft NavSite SearchSite SearchSite Search

General Information


The Hartt School of the University of Hartford is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music. Its programs in music education are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation, and Hartt shares the University of Hartford accreditation by the Commission of Higher Education of the State of Connecticut and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. The University of Hartford admits students without regard to race, age, color, creed, gender, physical ability, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin to all rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students of the University of Hartford.


Once you are issued a University of Hartford email address, all communications from the University will go to that address, not any other email address. You must start using your Hawkmail account as soon as you receive your new email address.


NO FORMAL LETTER OF COURSE COMPLETION OR GRADE REPORTS WILL BE SENT OUT BY THE UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD. To confirm course completion with school districts, you must order a transcript. Transcripts requested before grades have been processed will not be accurate. Transcripts are ordered and paid for through the National Student Clearinghouse. To place an order, go to www.studentclearinghouse.org. If you are a current student, you also may order official transcripts through the National Student Clearinghouse after logging into the Self-Service Center. For more information, call 860.768.5588. Participants who require grade verification before the end of August may request a verification letter from the Director of Music Education, Warren Haston, PhD, haston@hartford.edu

Course Cancellation/Checking the Status of a Course

All courses are subject to cancellation due to insufficient enrollment. In case of cancellation, the Hartt Summerterm office will attempt to contact all registered students by email or phone. Courses may be canceled up until two weeks before the course is scheduled to begin.

Refund and Withdrawal Policy

Participants enrolled in courses that are canceled are entitled to a full credit on tuition. The technology fee is refundable but not the registration fee. Participants who elect to withdraw from a course after it has begun will not be entitled to a full credit on tuition. Participants who wish to withdraw should contact the Hartt Summerterm office at 860.768.4479.

Graduate Credits and Teacher Certification

Connecticut requires at least 30 months of successful teaching experience under a Provisional Certificate and 30 semesters of graduate credit beyond a bachelor’s degree to advance from a provisional to a professional level educator certificate. (After July 1, 2016, a master’s degree will be required to move from provisional to professional certification status.) School districts must provide at least 18 hours of professional development per year to maintain or continue a professional level educator certificate. CEUs are no longer required. For information regarding the Continuation of the Connecticut Professional Educator Certificate, contact the Connecticut State Office of Certification, Department of Education at 860.713.6543 or www.sde.ct.gov. Out-of-state participants should contact their state department of education for applicable guidelines.


Parking is free on campus for all daytime commuters with a parking pass obtained in the Hartt Summerterm office. Participants who are staying in the dormitories and wish to park on campus overnight must register with the Summerterm housing office and Department of Public Safety upon check-in. There may be a charge for overnight parking. Prices are subject to change. You may register for on-campus parking by clicking on the Summerterm Housing Information link to the left. Alternatively, please bring the following information with your Summerterm parking form to Department of Public Safety to register your vehicle: license plate number, vehicle make, model, and year.


The University of Hartford offers full-service dining and a recently renovated student union. Please find a complete listing at www.hartford.edu. Go to About, Student Life, Dining Services. Complimentary snacks and coffee will be available throughout the day at The Hartt School. There is also a Starbucks, Subway, and Einstein Bagels on campus, though Summer hours are limited.

Policy Change

The University reserves the right to make changes in tuition, fees, and other costs, and in regulations, facilities, and course offerings that it considers necessary and just, and to apply such changes to students in attendance, as well as to new students. No change in tuition or fees is made retroactively, however.